2017 is finally here! I know you're probably excited to hit the ground running with a plethora of new blog posts and awesome content. But what happens if you go full steam ahead with your blog, only to find yourself exhausted?
2016 marked my 1 year anniversary of blogging. I had huge ambitions for my blog which also caused much exhaustion. Although I put out some great content, I struggled with burnout. This year, I'm determined to keep publishing consistent content without the burnout. Check out the five helpful tips that can help you blog like a boss without all the exhaustion. Also, keep reading for an awesome giveaway!
1. Stay Organized and Consistent. Consistency can be the hardest thing for any blogger to follow. I've found that when I'm not consistently publishing content, I start to get behind on many tasks and it feels impossible to keep up. There's no one shoe fits all approach when it comes to blogging but good organization is essential. Utilize a content calendar, worksheets, or journal to plan out your content. Through trial and error, I've realized that I prefer to use a whiteboard to plan out my monthly content, while keeping an organizer in my person to keep track of events on the go. Do what works best for you.
2. Set Blogging Blackout Periods. Set aside a certain amount of time per week when you're not blogging. Downtime is essential. Your "me time" should be just that, and shouldn't include the blog. I don't have a child yet, so I often refer to my blog as my baby. However, even the best mother needs a break. Get in the habit of setting certain days or hours during the month that you will use to recharge. I tend to come up with my best content ideas when I'm not conscientiously brainstorming. Keep a notepad in your purse or put a memo in your phone so you can document an idea and refer back to it later.
3. Establish Blog "Work Hours." The struggle is real when it comes to seeing what's popping on the gram, or reviewing your social media feeds. In the past, I've struggled with maintaining balance. There would be times when I'd be on the couch watching a movie with my husband, and I couldn't resist the urge to open up my laptop. After awhile, I realized that this was not only affecting my relationship but my mental health. It was hard for me to go to bed because I was spending late hours into the night working on the blog.
Each night, I put my social media notifications on silent, stop replying to emails, texts, social media comments, and get off my laptop. So if text me at pm and I don't respond don't take it personal! Initially this was difficult. I had to put my laptop in another room to avoid the urge to open it up. I even had to tell my husband that we wouldn't have blog conversations late at night so there could be some separation. After a lot of self-discipline it worked and has helped tremendously!
4. Do Different Tasks on Different Days. Blogging is a lot more than just writing a post and hitting save and publish. I've found it very helpful to set aside different days of the week to handle certain tasks. Trying designating certain days for writing, editing photos, and scheduling social media content. I avoid trying to handle all of these tasks at once because it can become overwhelming. If designating days isn't your thing then try blocking out hours for different tasks. Mix it up, so you aren't spending too much time on one item, which can help keep you motivated and energized.
5. Hire a VA when needed. There's nothing wrong with a helping hand. Even if you're super organized it can still be difficult to complete everything on your own. A VA (Virtual Assistant) can be a blogger's best friend. They can handle everything from administrative tasks, blog and social media management, SEO optimization and so much more. Are you interested in using a VA but aren't sure where to turn? Then check this out!
Because I love you all so much and want you so stay organized in 2017 I've partnered with my blogging buddy and favorite VA Glenny to offer you a special giveaway. She is the the Blogger and Owner of Confessions of a Scorpio and has officially launched her Virtual Assistance biz! 1 lucky reader will win 6 free hours of Virtual Assistant services valued at $150. Your free 6 hour package is valid for 1 month and includes the following:
- 30 Minute 1:1 consulting for any blog audits, questions or branding inquiries
- Graphic Design and Editing for your social media (such as Pinterest), blog, or media kit creation
- Newsletter Management
- Content Proofreading and Editing to ensure that your SEO is good to go
- Anything else you'd like to help you reach your blog's potential
Simply enter the giveaway below by completing the following steps:
The winner will be notified by email so make sure you're subscribed to both of our lists! Happy Blogging!