During my recent vacation, I took a day trip to Isla Mujeres, Mexico. My friends and I grabbed a taxi from our hotel in Playa Mujeres and arrived at the Puerto Juarez Ferry Terminal in 15 minutes. Once we arrived, we purchased round trip Ultramar ferry tickets which costs us $10.00 USD per person.
The ferry ride to Isla Mujeres was gorgeous. As we rode on the ferry, I couldn't believe how beautiful the water was. We opted to sit on the top of the ferry which gave us wonderful views of the ocean. The ferry ride to Isla Mujeres lasted about 20 minutes. We decided to rent golf carts for a few hours to tour the island. We paid $30 for 2 hours. After purchasing our golf carts the real adventure started! Our first stop was Playa Centro.
Prior to arrival, I had read that there were beach massages available at Playa Centro. My friends and I were able to receive 30 minute massages for $15 USD! We could've paid $30 for one hour but decided to keep our massages short to enjoy more time on the Island. My massage was wonderful and the products used smelled and felt delightful.
After our massages, we split up and drove our golf carts around the Island. My biggest regret is that I did not purchase a map.
Although, the Island is a big circle it's still easy to get lost. Eventually we stumbled upon Punta Sur and ended up getting some great photos. The views were breathtaking.
After leaving Punta Sur, we realized that we had about 30 minutes until it was time to turn our golf carts in. I started to notice that the sky was becoming quite ominous. 5 minutes later, we were riding around in what felt like the storm of the century. Buckets of rain pounded us as our golf cart provided minimal protection from the rain. 20 minutes later the rain eased up and we returned our golf cart. I was soaken wet, yet super excited about how eventful our Isla Mujeres adventure was becoming.
After surviving the rainstorm we decided to do a little shopping before heading back to the ferry. I loved the charm of the shopping area.
The next time I visit Isla Mujeres I will make sure that I'm well prepared. If you plan on visiting the island keep the following tips in mind:
1. Pack a Towel. Between the beautiful beaches and potential tropical shower make sure that you bring a towel.
2. Bring a Map. Although, this island is small it's definitely possible to get lost. Pack a map to ensure you save time and see all the sights
3. Get a Massage at Playa Centro. You definitely won't regret it! This was the perfect relief to my sunburned skin. (Yes, I got a sunburn)
4. Rent a Golf Cart. Touring Isla Mujeres by golf cart is a fun and adventurous way to see all that Isla Mujeres has to offer.
5. Download the Travel Guide Isla Mujeres App Isla Mujeres has a travel app that will ensure that you see all the sights. Find out more about it here.
Want to see more of Isla Mujeres? Check out my video below that captures my entire day of touring the island. Minus the rainstorm!